Unit 4 IA3 - ideas and stakeholders

Hello all,

So I’m currently in the process of developing IA3 and would like to make the focus on the Life Below Water SDG as I am working in a school in the Far North and most students enjoy fishing/boating/beaches. The topic would be really suitable.

However I don’t know who to have as then potential stakeholders or whether the scope and scale maybe to big?. I am the only design teacher here and I would really like to receive/bounce ideas with you guys. All feedback received would be great!

2 Likes

Hi, I think it’s a great idea to use the SDGs in teaching.

IA3 is fundamentally a redesign problem–taking an existing design and improving on it. What disciplines are you most interested in? In relation to the LBW SDG there are lots of ways that you could approach this.

I find that design tasks work best when they are simple… for example, redesigning the bins/waste systems that are close to beaches to try and minimise human impact on life below water.

Or redesigning gutters (as in, the common street gutter) to raise consciousness in the public about the ways that everything in the water system is connected.

I feel like there are lots of ways that it could be done. Does that help?

1 Like

Hello Nick,

Thank you for your reply, it’s greatly appreciated.

I see that topic 2 is the develop stage and called redesign. And I would really like to hone in on one SGD for the students to delve into a redesign. I also am interested in this SDG, and with the reef such a reality for the students I think this will really help. I was just wondering if it may be too big of a scope?

I also really like the suggestions you have given (bins and gutters) as this is something I had every thought of.

2 Likes

A broad scope can give students room to explore and discover interesting approaches you’d never think of yourself. There’s always the option of providing suggestions or ‘default’ choices for students who can’t decide.

Whenever I give design students choice I usually insist on a few conditions:

1. all choices require approval; and…
  2. approved choices can’t be changed without approval; and sometimes…
  3. if no choice is made one will be assigned

I think it’s our job to manage project complexity to make sure keen students don’t take on topics that are too much work or beyond the time available. It’s fine to do this over time as the project evolves too—after all, the design process is about discovery and no-one can know what will unfold ahead of time. Perhaps the main thing here is for students to understand that someone is looking out for them, allowing them to harness their passions but without the risk of going off the deep-end into unrealistic expectations.

Yes, so, a broad scope can be fine if the teacher manages the complexity and guides people through it.

3 Likes