Unit 2 Commercial Design exam and responses

Hi everyone
Here is the Unit 2 Commercial Design assessment - Exam Design Challenge with 3 responses from my best students that we have just completed. I haven’t marked their responses yet so they are not necessarily indicative of high level responses.

Any feedback to make it better next time would be appreciated.

Cheers
Brenda
Unit 2 Commercial Design Exam assessment.docx (109.5 KB)
Stimulus student passageway.docx (4.8 MB)
BM sample exam response.pdf (4.5 MB)
OV sample exam response.pdf (549.7 KB)
TN sample exam response 2.pdf (540.0 KB)

2 Likes

Hi Brenda,

Thank you for sharing. I really like the exam task as it is accessible to all students.

TN: Good brainstorming page.
OV: Good ideas (I like the collaborative art wall).
BM: Very good presentation of work which helps when grading as ideas are represented clearly.

All exams touched on social and cultural influences with BM demonstrating this clearly in their evaluation.

My suggestion would be that there needed to be more divergent strategies used which could help students gain more direct marks against the objectives. Also, some colour could be used as it can help draw more attention to key ideas and statements.

If you have time I have also uploaded my students’ exams based on Unit 1. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Kind regards,
Veronica
Fa1 exam examples.pdf (2.0 MB)

1 Like

Hi Brenda,
Thanks for posting these. They look good. I thought TN was especially good - particularly regarding their communication; it was clear and easy to follow. I would agree with Veronica in that they could do with showing more divergent thinking strategies perhaps use SCAMPER.

Regards,

Sam

1 Like

Hi Von!
Long time, no see! Remember our podcast? Weren’t we great?! :smile:

I would love to give you feedback on the students’ responses but I am still a little at sea about a response being ‘perceptive’ rather than ‘appropriate’ or ‘critical evaluation’ rather than ‘feasible evaluation’ (for example). It seems to me that the high level responses from QCAA are light on with evidence for the higher level…I guess I am used to students providing more depth in their answers to show that higher level. What is interesting is that I had a conversation with our Senior Curriculum Coordinator about this issue and she said that we are moving away from kids writing a ‘thesis’ level response and use the samples on QCAA as a guide for how much is written to get the high level response(and quality of their written/sketched work of course). Then, when we send it away the confirmers will tell us if we are hitting it.

I am also concerned that I can’t explain to a student how to get better at their responses if they are at the ‘appropriate’ level. I have been seeking clarification from QCAA however I have yet to actually connect with the SPO. Believe me I’ve tried! We are all so busy. :woozy_face:

I have looked at your exam examples several times and I think it was a great way to start - fun, relevant, interesting.
One question I have now is about Example 3 response… They received a 4 for Syn and Eval… is that because their synthesis was simple rather than coherent and logical? Because it seems their eval was critical rather than feasible. Have I read that right? I have only scanned the first two responses.

Well, I must go and mark but I will look at them further at a later time if you still want my observations?

Take care and I think you are doing a fabulous job!

Cheers
Brenda

Our podcast was funny.

I find clear annotation when sketching is key for students to get their design ideas across. I found that the article in Unit 1 Art vs Design explained this very well and I find myself referring to this article a lot in class.

The time frame in the exam also makes it hard for students that aren’t confident sketchers to explain their design without the use of extended writing. However, this does give a bell curve in the grading.

Example 3 was given a 4 for Syn and Eval because I thought they addressed the criteria well considering the time constraints. Also, I liked how they referred to the user throughout there evaluation (which is something I empathised before the exam) because coming into unit 3 & 4 students will need to demonstrate this.

Thank you for replying and I’m looking forward to more conversations as we walk through this new field.

Kind regards,
Von

G’day Brenda,
This has been an excellent resource for me to work with. Many thanks for sharing.
May I ask a question?
I see that the order of the four task requirements are different to the order in the Syllabus p34.
I can see that they are in the order of the Objectives, however my understanding is that the objectives are not listed in the order that students would normally progress through a design process (which can be found on page 12 and 13). I am interested in your insight into the reason for the order of the task requirements, if you are happy to share.
Kind regards,
Ben

1 Like

Hi Ben
My apologies for my late reply. So you have made me look at it in a way that I hadn’t before so this is what I did:

1. I looked at the sample online in the Resources tab called snr_design_19_unit3_ia_smple_asr (“Your challenge is to design a way that the use of bags could be modified or eliminated to improve safety at events without impacting on spectators’ enjoyment.”) and modelled mine off that.

2. It does follow P13 of the Syllabus where it states the following:
    To develop, students:
    • devise multiple ideas using divergent thinking in response to the design problem Brainstorming page
    • use drawing and low-fidelity prototyping skills appropriate to the nature of the problem to visually represent and think through ideas and design concepts Brainstorming page
    • use convergent thinking to synthesise the attributes from multiple ideas and design information to propose possible design concepts Idea 1 & 2 pages
    • evaluate the extent to which ideas and design concepts meet design criteria to make improvements On Idea 1 & 2 pages or own page - about the ideas (I think I didn’t make the SCAMPER part obvious enough to get to Idea 1 and 2 so I will fix that next time)
    • make a decision about a design concept that best meets the design criteria. Final design concept page
    I think the order stated on P34 of the Syll is incorrect for an exam as some criteria and steps have to be left out. Maybe for a project they are right.

Does that make sense or is it more confusing than ever? :confused:
Let me know.

Cheers
Brenda

Thanks Brenda! As long as it makes sense to you!
I also wonder if, in the Design Criteria section, it would be more valuable for the students if the description of each criteria was based from the syllabus glossary? I have taken the liberty of doing that for mine and it reads like this:
Social: features of the design concept should include fashions, trends, tastes, demographics
Cultural: features of the design concept should relate to the collective accepted practices of a group of human beings associated with a specified characteristic
Economic: features of the design concept should include costs, time, client expectations of quality

1 Like