Unit 1, Topic 2 ideas?

unit-1
topic-2

I hope everyone has started their year as well as can be!
I am looking at Topic 2. The Syllabus Page 22 says that “the teacher provides information about an identified stakeholder’s needs and wants.”
I am interested in surveying what each teacher is providing for this topic so we can all get a better feel for it.
Would you be so kind as to pop through a quick reply?
Thanks in advance!
Kind regards,
Ben

Hi Ben,

Do you have access to the Nelson Design for QCE textbook? It has suggestions for briefs for units 1 and 2 which I find super helpful. I’ve attached a screenshot (had to delete for copyright). There’s tonnes more on process/outline etc for each topic in the textbook too.

I have found it really helpful in picking and planning assessment - I hope it helps you too.

Kind regards,

Thanks Josie for pointing that out. Yes I have the text and find it very helpful generally. Unit 1 Topic 2 has some guidance on page 309 however I am not connecting with it. Hoping to cast the net wider to see how others are approaching it.
Kind regards,
Ben

Hi Ben,

I created a couple of tasks for Unit 1 when I was doing some teaching with Griffith Uni last year. The tasks that I created were more specifically around Topic 1 and Topic 3, however you could easily modify them for Topic 2. From memory, Topic 2 was really just trying to get students to go through digital prototyping, is that right? I’m happy to send you a ppt. if you’d like. Email me robw@salc.qld.edu.au and I’ll send it through.

Done many thanks Rob!

Hi Ben, I’m currently doing something similar to this for my first year students at uni so hopefully what I’m doing is helpful.

For the information about a stakeholder’s needs and wants I am a providing a mix of the kinds of things that user-centered design often leads to.

Things that I am thinking about including are:

1. Some rough sketches or annotated photos of how people are using a specific space (particularly good in projects with a physical context)
  2. User flow diagrams, wireframes, or other less formal representations of how something relevant to the design brief is being used (particularly good in a redesign problem)
  3. Rough demographics or statistical information about who uses related designs (e.g. ergonomics research for industrial design or survey data)
  4. Developed personas for (fictional) key users or stakeholders to give the student a “lens” through which they can consider their own design
  5. Some kind of case study of a related design (there are some amazing case studies in the case study club website)

Hope that’s of some help!

Hi Ben, I did some reverse design mapping. ie. I give the students an object and ask them to present a list of questions that might help clarify why the original person designed the object in the first place.

It has helped them with their questioning and to delve down into the emotions that may be there with the original designer.

I then used my project at home as the example and they were able to question me and delve into the details and reasons for the project and then formulate a design brief for when I started the project.

Seemed to work for my students.