Unit 1 Topic 2 Digital Prototyping

topic-2
unit-1

Hi everyone,
How are you delivering the digital prototyping?
Syllabus page 24:
• demonstrate the use of digital low-fidelity prototyping (text p 101-107) to represent and test design ideas and concepts using

• interactive simulations
  • sequential representations of images and sound (motion graphics) (text p106)

I am interested in your thoughts, process and program.
Kind regards,
Ben

For what it’s worth I’m doing lo-fi digital prototyping by getting my (first year uni) students to sketch wire frames on paper, take photos of them, and then stitch it together (into an interactive lo-fi mockup) with marvelapp, which is free:

https://marvelapp.com/pop/?popref=1

That’s a web design example only I suppose. I would imagine that for other disciplines this might look like a quick and nasty sketchup (more representative of figures than accurate) or photos with annotations.

Hi Ben, A good question. We are using Fusion 360 it allows students to use low-fidelity digital prototyping quickly and easily. I guess if you interactive with the design as the user and creator of that digital file, then students are interacting when making it, or your as the teacher are interacting when looking at their model and turning it around or walking through it as a fly through. Fusion also lets you play back the whole design from the first sketch to the final prototype, maybe this could be interpreted as sequential images.

That looks interesting. Do you have any screenshots or links of the students work handy?

Ah yes of course. Thanks Evie for pointing that out. We have Fusion so that is an easy one. Anyone else have any different ideas?

Sorry, not yet–that’s Assessment 2 for the semester and its a new unit. I’m still doing mock-ups for Assessment 1! Once I have some examples I will share them.

My understanding is that Unit 1 should introduce students to the range of ways that different products, services and environments are sketched and prototyped so that later in the course they can apply these as needed. I think using CAD based software may reinforce a product mentality so that the students will think that every problem is solved by designing a 3D product. They also wont have the skills to prototype services or digital solutions. Something like Adobe XD CC allows interactive user experience prototyping and a lot can also be achieved using power point. It has much more functionality than we usually use and students are very familiar with it.

Thanks Jonathan for your insight here. Do you have any examples of the Adobe or Powerpoint to show?

Hi,
I am getting my students to use the marvel POP App, this is app lets you prototype and develop phone apps. I am getting my kids to design and create a prototype of a art movement dictionary/encyclopedia style app.

Hi Ben
Sketchup has scenes interaction and the warehouse (products, building, people, anything) to create a simulation. It can also make movies, position and component movements.
It can now be used in web browser if you’re a BYO school and also uses lower ram to autodesk software.
Yes sketchup isn’t as fancy as fusion, however there are some awesome render plugins available. If you get pro you also get Layout which allows you to interact with models on a A3 page before printing.

What about using Blender? BEWARE!!! It has a steep learning curve if not taught correctly, so don’t plan on Sunday and try deliver on Monday!!

The beauty of Blender is that it can be extended ad infinitum. It can cater for different stages of a development cycle, whether 2D or 3D, digital or physical:

• You can develop a mock-up in minutes either in 2D or 3D

• You can use the sculpt tool to refine forms

• You can move on to adding textures, changing colours, etc

• Do camera walk arounds/walk throughs

• Add physics and relational interactions

I have been teaching the year 9 and 10 students to use it to extend their experiences with 3D visualisation tools. We also use Fusion 360 and Inventor

There is also a piece of software that works similarly to Fusion, it is free, and called DesignSpark

https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/mechanical-download-and-installation

WARNING ABOUT SKETCHUP
When it comes to 3D printing, Sketchup cannot get past about 0.8 tolerance, so often, smaller, more precision-sensitive components won’t print correctly, or drop a face.