Can anyone help with examples of each of the styles and designers that we’re talking about here? Does anyone have good examples?
The curriculum asks us to do a whole lot here and it makes sense if we can pool our resources. All help appreciated!
From the curriculum:
- Analyse existing designs to understand that designs are informed by the inspiration of past accomplishments
- compare and contrast influential design styles, e.g. Art Deco, Bauhaus, Brutalism, Memphis, Minimalism, Modernism, Postmodernism
- identify the influence of design styles across design professions
- classify how influential designers from the past have used the elements and principles of visual communication. Consider a range of designers, e.g. Marianne Brandt, Margaret Calvert, Lucienne Day, Zaha Hadid, Arne Jacobsen, Raymond Loewy, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, Gerrit Rietveld, Harry Seidler, Vivianna Torun Bülow-Hübe
- form conclusions about how the elements and principles of visual communication are used to define design styles
- Analyse what makes classic designs distinguishable, iconic and timeless to understand the reasons for their success, considering how these designs relate to principles of good design, defy obsolescence and transcend original function, maintain a constant presence in society over time influence decisions to value form over function, e.g. developing new designs based on a classic design (retro-styling)