Design Exhibition

events

Hello fellow Design teachers,

Just recently, I was extremely fortunate enough to have the opportunity to attend both the QUT Design faculty and the recent QUT Design exhibition at the Creative Industries Precinct. Andrew kindly gave me a tour of the design studios where I was able to see student work on display and being marked. Some studios were huge and made great use of space and I was interested to see the small number of heavy-duty workshop machines for such a large faculty. Even more interesting were the rows and rows of hot wire cutters for lo-fi prototyping with foam and polystyrene. Something I hope we might implement here at my school.

The exhibition (which just blew me away) was held across three floors with exceptional work from a range of disciplines. There was work from Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Interactive & Visual Design, Interior Design, Furniture Design and it was so busy I had to queue to access the industrial design display. The work that I saw promoted a variety of design techniques and skills, one not necessarily better than the other. The work highlighted perfectly that there is no one set way to design and present a concept with a many different approaches on display.

Students presented their concepts on A3, A2 or A1 boards. Some disciplines had them printed on paper, others had them mounted on corflute or mount board. Some students had one display board others had three. In addition to their display boards, students had an A3 booklet (some spiral bound, some bound with crocodile clips) documenting their individual process. This is what I found very interesting seeing the different ways in which students developed their designs through iteration. Some students had one or two sketches to a page, some had a whole A3 sheet filled with developments. There were many mind maps, tables and charts showing student research and it made it very easy to see how concepts had developed. Students also displayed prototypes made from paper, card, foam and plastic that had been constructed by hand, using the laser cutter or a 3D printer. Not all projects were individual either, some having been undertaken in teams, particularly the furniture design project; Latch

It was an insightful visit and not only did I come away with a better idea of how to prepare our design students but I was able to get some project ideas to implement into our planning. It was extremely beneficial and a wonderful experience to be amongst such fantastic designers and people who also share a passion for the subject.

I am able to share photographs from the exhibition so please feel free to click the link below to a Google drive folder and have a look at the wonderful ways in which we can drive our subject forward.

Once again, I am incredibly grateful for your time on Tuesday, so thank you Andrew.

QUT CreateX photos