Design Criteria in old style

Hey,

Below is a “scaffolding” document that I will be using to help mark my design exam.

If it helps that is great, if you don’t like it don’t worry about it (I am aware there are things about it that would not be recommended by QCAA e.g. assessing objective 1).

It would be more helpful for those who have not gone across to ISMGs for year 11 and if you are like me and find the new criteria difficult to break down at a glace.

Regards

Criteria old style.docx (15.4 KB)

2 Likes

Gday Zac, feel your pain Brother. I made up a little sheet that I use to help me grade the students’ work. But just as importantly I use it when I review the assessment piece with the student. When they are wondering why I didn’t give them a 4 or a 5, I ask them to read the descriptors and definitions with me and I ask them to show me the evidence of where that occured. They are then generally accepting of their result. I think having the students understand the ISMG’s helps them with understanding what is required to get a 4 or a 5 (or a 2 or 3 if that’s the most they are capable of at the moment).
Appreciate your thoughts Regards WOK

ISMG explained.pdf (725.0 KB)

1 Like

Hi Wok,
This is excellent resource. It works well in showing students why they got the marks they did.

0 Likes

Hi Zac, Wok and Snicc0,
Like Wok, I also designed a similar activity where the students had to;
a) complete a matching activity (as in match the definition to the word)
b) apply this new knowledge to their own in-class practice response and then to two peers’ responses.
c) we only applied one criterion at a time so as not to overwhelm and to fully immerse themselves in the language and evidence.
d) students wrote on copies of an ISMG and provided results and feedback to their peers as to where they could see evidence and where their peer could enhance their work.
At the conclusion of these lessons, I asked for feedback about how I could ‘teach’ that better. All good, however a key take away was that they would have liked to have unpacked the ISMG’s earlier.

As you can imagine this took a series of lessons, however, the time invested ensured that when I returned their FIA1, conversations were positive and based around how they could improve their work, rather than explaining why they received the grade. I agree wholeheartedly with Wok, students need to be engaging with the ISMG’s now to avoid any ‘surprises’ next year.
Regards,
Kate

0 Likes